Thursday, February 28, 2008

On the other end of town...

Returning back to the place where I became inspired to blog about SN&F, I find Sweet Nothings Popcorn Factory and Coffee House delightfully quiet and smelling like chocolate, coffee and popcorn. I head straight for the counter and end up speaking with Celia Barry, the owner of the quaint little shop on the corner.

The questions I asked were similar to the ones I asked at the Sweet Shop; "What are your feelings about distributing the zine? How well do you know Kelly? How do you feel about the content?" Surprisingly, Celia's responses were very similar and her outlook for the community made me excited for the things to come.

Things that were similar were the comments about Kelly being one of her best customers, and their ability to bring in business. "I'm open to anything that helps business out." It seems that everyone is overwhelmed with the creative aspect of Kelly's work and Celia want's to nurture anything that inspires the community and keep's spirits up.

On that note, Celia also mentioned the many efforts in the works to try and bring about a sense of community to Aberdeen and to get people together. One that I took note of was the Gray's Harbor Street Market, an effort funded and organized by outside entities, primarily from Seattle. It is intended to be an outdoor market for vendors which will take place during the spring and summer months starting on March 17th. At the time of the interview, Celia knew of 40 vendors signed up out of a potential capacity of 150. "Unfortunatly, I think most of them are from the Seattle and Olympia area; no one local yet."

I see this as a real problem...

No comments: