Saturday, February 2, 2008

What are you thinking?


Photo by: ralphhogaboom

So, how did I come to this topic, anyways?

Well, here is a little bit of back story to let you know why I even want to do this:

I stayed inside on one of many rainy days in the small coastal city of Aberdeen, WA. I grew up in the area and know about most of the places where I can just hang out when I need to. My choice that day was Sweet Nothings Popcorn Factory and Coffee House where I did a large batch of graphic design work which needed a good deal of uninterrupted attention that just didn't come from being at home. I felt like this one coffee shop seemed like the only portion in town that was "caught up" with the rest of the world. Anyone could stay for indefinite amounts of time without the uncomfortable feelings that some places get when an unknown person sticks around. It also has free wi-fi.

During one of my "mental breaks" that I gave myself, I noticed a design that caught my eye on a piece of paper sitting on the table. Good design of this nature was typical of college towns and larger cities, not my hometown. My curiosity that day allowed me to stumble upon Kelly Hogaboom's creation: Sure Nail & Fire, a lifestyle/culture zine for an area that I always felt was lacking in the lifestyle/culture department.

My mind raced with the possibilities of this discovery (personal contribution and involvement, subscription, etc.) and now, because of this blog, I can become both a contributer and a proponent of small town culture.

I swear, my writing will get more interesting and personal.

-ejj

No comments: